Thursday, February 06, 2014

Inquisitor Isaac Valon

...

"Thank you for joining me, Inquisitor Valon."

"Pleasure, my lord."

"I hope your journey went well, considering the storm that was beating the Warp?"

"The ship lost one of their Navigators when the storm hit. Fortunately the rest of them were able to find a channel to stick in. Now what is it that you had me summoned here for, my lord?"

"Straight to business as always, eh? Very well then, let us not waste the precious little time that we have on our hands and allow me share my headache with you. It was unfortunate that the matter could not be discussed through warp. I have great trust to my Astropaths, but there are spies everywhere."

"That is what I have heard."

"Ah, yes, of course. Then you must know what happened to Inquisitor Cassar?"

"Indeed I have, my lord. Was Inquisitor Pherion the one who was sent to interrogate him?"

"He was, and there lies the problem. We haven't heard from Inquisitor Pherion since he landed to Ianthe IV. The last message with his signature is dated three weeks ago. Now we fear the worst."

"You would wish me to track him down and find out what happened to him?"

"Precisely! The matter is slipping through our hands and it must be dealt with haste. Rigorous act is the key to minimize the damage this insident has already caused. But I must insist that you will keep this in dark from the rest of the counsel."

"Understood, my lord."

"Good, good! Now, do you have your team here with you?"

"Yes I do."

"Excellent. Let us have something to drink before we go any further with the briefing, shall we?"

...






20 comments:

  1. That is a fantastic bit of modeling and painting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that a little dirk in his right hand underneath that buckler?

    Very very well done sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dai! Please check out Jeff's answer below ;)

      Delete
  3. Dai: it's one of the talos arms.

    Splendid conversion, as always. Great sense of movement. The face is simply stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate! I'm pretty satisfied by how the pose came out. Sometimes the gods of the kit-bashing do smile for me too :D His eyes are creeping me...

      Delete
  4. Top notch model! Very compact and full of well controlled motion. Although he is an Inquisitor, he is not overwrought or ostentatious. The color choices are excellent, limited but applied in a way that it looks incredibly varied. Drawing out his tenacity and true grit. I love the striped pants. It is a small detail that sounds odd on paper, but works exceedingly well with him and the drab colors. Possibly my favorite model of your's yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eric! Although 40k characters usually flourish with crazy amount of details, I like to try and keep things simple. The stripy pants and Mr. Blanche's checkers pattern on his right side shoulder pad give a nuance of retro feel for him.

      Delete
  5. Really strong piece, just rilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Superlative work. I particularly like the striped pants, the color on the fur, and the work on his cap.

    Any chance of walking us through how you painted the pants and the fur?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lasgunpacker.

      To paint the fur, use light brown on for the middle part and very dark brown for the edge. Highlight darker areas with light brown and light brown areas with light brown mixed with broken white.

      About pants, they are basically painted all white, the washed with devlan mud, and when it's dry again, paint the stripes with dark red, add more red+yellow to highlight stripes, paint thin dark (almost black) striped to both sides of each red stripe, hightlight white areas with pure white and finally give another wash of devlan mud. Easy as that :)

      Delete
  7. Another stunning piece, Kari! I actually didn't notice the Talos arm before Jeff Vader pointed it out, but it adds a certain mystique to the character (is it a prosthesis or rather an implement of torture -- or both?) and may now be my favourite detail about the model.

    Fantastic work, as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate! The Talos arm was a brainer at the beginning but it really deepens the character. I think the arm is just a prosthesis as Inquisitor Valon may have a member in his team whose specialty lies in extreme interrogation methods.

      Delete
  8. I'm almost annoyed on how good he is!
    No, but seriously i love your Inquisitor models, perfectly dark and sinister.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic job! I'm curious as to your method for painting skin, it's something I've been trying to get right for a long time but I'm in love with your tones. Any tips you could pass on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Reejuya! I'll post a tutorial for the skin within next few days...

      Delete
  10. My favorite piece yet? Pretty close, maybe the Corsair still has me but I really do love this guy. What you are doing with the reds at the moment I think works so well, they really are leaping out the picture at you. I think its also the first use of the empire sprues that doesn't look like an empire sprue stuck on some 40k bits, it totally sits into the 40k world.

    Awesome, thanks again for sharing all this, any chance of some WIPs on this guy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Irwit. Unfortunately I don't have any WIPs from him other than the one shown in few posts backwards.

      Delete