Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Inquisitor Marius Cassar And The Retinue

Muscle reflex made the dead body twitch like if the Death had made his last puppet play with the corpse before taking the remaining sparks of life away from it. Deadly wound on the side of the guardsman - ripped open by Cassar's less smoothly exiting rapier - oozed steaming warm blood, moistening the ground beneath it and darkening the small curb with a red shadow.

Pair of eyes, nailed deep in the pale face of Cassar, stared at the dead body with frighteningly passionate glow in them. Feel of pleasure filled every cell in his body.

Cassar's mind was still going through the last couple of moments, savoring every bit of it, analyzing his and his opponents every move and decision made. Every intense breath he took pumped a doze of adrenaline up to the surface, making the thrill of struggle slowly fading away.


For Cassar it had barely been 'a struggle', more like a short deadly waltz that had ended perhaps a bit too soon for his liking. He wanted more of it and soon...

+++

+ Inquisitor Marius Cassar +



Hoozah! So here's the jewel of the crown, head of my INQ28 posse, Inquisitor Marius Cassar, the rotter and the burden of the Imperial Inquisition. This was another amazing project to complete, full of great vibes and successes.

In couple of situations I was bit of charmed by the luck, that I must admit. When I started painting Cassar's coat, I really had no plan for what it should look like. I decided to trust my instict and just mix paints and see what fits together. Brown-purplish leather coat looked like out of place, but after I used some red and orange inks the result ended up looking pretty cool. Overall I was really pleased how it came out.

Finally it is time for another merry groupshot. Meet the gang with their leader on their side...

Inquisitor Marius Cassar and the inglorious Rogues Malus.


While we're waiting for okkiW to finish his group, it is time for me to move on to the next phase of the Punk Moth project, the caterpillar. I've already gathered a nice pile of building bits and arsenal to start designing my part of the gaming table. This is totally new area for me and I'm very excited to see what I'll be able to pull out.

20 comments:

  1. Ize he looks superb. The colour of the sword is brilliant, how did you do that? The shoulder mounted weapon looks ace.

    The group shot....what a money shot. Brilliant sums it up. I think you could probably quite happily give him a couple more retinue members.....perhaps an interrogator.

    Looking forward to Okki's group and the scenery next. Great project and cool symbol for it...nice and rusty.

    PDH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Peter! Gald to hear you like 'em :)

      An interrogator... That would fit perfectly in the scheme, thanks for the idea! To the drawing board!

      Ah, not just yet :D

      Okkiw's group will look astonishing when he's done with it, that I can promise you. The words I've heard about his Inquisitor made me speechless.... I seriously can't wait to see that thing materialize!

      Delete
    2. Oh, about the blade... Boltgun Metal + brown wash and after that, black and red inks...

      Delete
    3. What brand of inks you are using? GW's original ink's or completely different firm?

      Delete
    4. I use Games Workshop's and Winsor and Newton's inks. The latter have very rich tone in them and they are perfectly for bringing some life to shadow areas.

      Delete
  2. Great front piece model! The subtle, yet strong colour palette really works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you JRN! There was quite a pressure hanging around this thing, but I think I was able to pull it out OK.

      The groupshot makes the whole thing look like it truely was worth doing...

      Delete
  3. Im speechless. I don't know anymore what to say. The inquisitor, the whole retinue... Is just amazing. .DDD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant! Just brilliant! :D And the small sword looks very nice! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only just found your blog, the artwork and backstory for your Punk Moth project is superb, and lifts the finished article even higher than the painting/sculpting already did. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. O wow, that came out beautifully!

    And so fitting in with the rest of the band.

    Your written piece sets the mood perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a work of art, the group shot is just stunning. I'm thoroughly impressed with the level of craft you've brought to this project. It is a joy to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I keep staring at that group picture and I feel like my head tries to explode. You guys have left me speechless before but those times were nothing compared to this.

    Hot damn mate...

    Thanks for the picture about the shoulder mount.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the lack of better pics of the shoulder mount, Furinji. If you're interested to know, the bits that I've used there are mainly from Cadian Command Group (binoculars, breathing mask's controller, bolter) but there's also the stand from Grey Knight Terminator Squad.

      Delete
  9. This is something too beautiful to understand!
    Im in tears here!!!
    Feeling so lucky, that I can finally see these guys with my own eyes tomorrow!!!
    Work of a true artist rat bro...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Dai, Skeller, Furinji and okkiW!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very very nice work. It's fun to sense your own excitement and love of your creation. It's a great feeling when you have a vision and then by skill, determination, and always a little bit of luck stumble to a result that just nails it.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much migsula! Good to hear from you too.

      It was both exciting and teaching adventure to create these guys, full of enjoyment and passion. But this is just a tip of an iceberg. The caterpillar stage will take us out of our comfort zones, "forcing" us to make terrain and gaming accessories for our scenario, something neither us have really done before...

      Delete